Tuesday, October 30, 2007

Soup.io - Smells like B/O

This post begins my "smells bad series" (you'll see what I mean as the posts start to roll in).

To start off my first bile, I decided to look at soup.io -- a new startup funded by Y Combinator.
The basic idea behind the startup is (you'll never guess) "The easiest way to publish, collect, and share what you're creating, thinking about, or discovering online."

To put it plainly, its a freaking rss feed aggregator/reader/storer, similar to the one our neighborhood's friendly search engine provides for free. But I am wrong, its not just a feed reader, it is a social feed reader meaning you can aggregate, combine, submit and share your feeds with the world (without signingup) and with friends (if you sign up).

To me it seems that Soup.io is another mindless, stupid, waste of money idea, that some investor with tons of cash to throw around supported because he works under the principle "it could be shit, but if I package it nicely, people will buy it". So as a result, shit like soup.io get media attention and contribute to the collective Tech Waste 2.0 that sucks up hours of people's lives, taking them away from their families, friends, and other activities.

"More millions wasted today on Web 2.0 than was spent on [insert your favorite world problem here]"

Today's favorite world problem: fixing the environment so that we don't drown or die of thirst in the next 20 years or so.

Take care.

P.S. I'm not gonna link to any of the companies that I bile about here. Take that, you useless, money wasting wankers. :)

No comments: